About Windhoek Lager International Pairs
Where It Started:
2016 Saw the launch of the 1st season of the Windhoek Lager International Pairs. It has been an amazing success. International Pairs Worldwide was created in England in 1998 and started as a regional inter-club “pairs” competition in the Hampshire area to celebrate the Millennium. That was 23 years ago, and the tournament has grown into an International event of some significance. The success of International Pairs as a concept has been its simplicity and in enabling participating countries to hold qualifying events through which the process to identify pairs of ordinary club golfers to represent their country at the International Pairs World Final each year.
The Coordinators and Organizers – African Sports Management (Pty) Ltd, in coordination with the sponsors, reserve the right to change, amend or add any rules, regulations and conditions they deem required necessary to ensure the successful running of the Tournament.
Windhoek Lager International Pairs South Africa is approved by the South African Golf Association/GOLFRSA for the payment of expenses under Rule 4-2 g GOLFRSA02/2021
How It Works:
- The tournament comprises of a Series of Club Qualifying events.
- The competition entry fee for all Club Qualifying events is R100 (one hundred rand) per player per event, payable to the club.
- Only club members with an official handicap index may qualify at a Windhoek Lager International Pairs South Africa Club Qualifying event.
- The competition shall be played as Better ball Stableford in accordance with the rules of golf as laid down by the R&A of St Andrews and Rule 6.2a of GOLFRSA/SAGA (85%), together with any local rules approved by participating club competition committees – the winning pairs will be the pairs as determined by the club competition committee i.e., club count out procedure.
- The tournament is open to all golfers of eighteen years or older at the time of the Club Qualifying event who are affiliated members of a SAGA/GOLFRSA affiliated Golf Club and have an official handicap index.
- The SA Final is conducted along the lines of a professional Tournament, with no count-outs and any “ties” being settled by way of a play-off, if possible.
- Hundreds of thousands of golfers have played in qualifying events around the world.
- Each qualifying stage is unique, and every club golfer should try and experience what it is like.
- WLIPSA is a tournament that facilitates “competitive golf played in a fun way”.
- The process enables thousands of golfers to represent their golf clubs and to compete for the Windhoek Lager International Pairs SA Championship.
- The qualifying process culminates in two pairs of ordinary amateur club golfers representing South Africa at the World Finals, and one pair of ladies.
- No payment is required at the Regional Finals, where all costs, including green fees, players’ halfway house, snacks and some drink/s are covered by Windhoek Lager as the Title Rights Holders of the tournament. (Caddies or carts, where applicable are for the players’ own accounts, as well as the player’s transport/travel to this stage.)
- No payment is required at the SA Finals. All costs including air travel, accommodation, all meals, green fees, pair of drinks and other surprises are covered by Windhoek Lager. (Caddies or carts where applicable are for the players’ own account)
- Finally, Windhoek Lager also covers the costs of our South African representatives attending the World Finals of the International Pairs.